Frequently Asked Questions:
- All hardware is shipped via, "Free Shipping" to all states within the continental United States unless as noted. We will ship to state side US based brokers for our Canadian buyers. We will not process any paperwork, accept returns and damages will be the responsibility of the brokers, not of GDHD, its suppliers or shippers. Please contact us BEFORE ORDERING. Failure to do so will result in your order being canceled.
- All orders shipped this method will have special quoted pricing and terms, with pricing not found online. If you are interested in ordering this way, please contact us BEFORE attempting to place an order. This applies to Canadian orders with US-based brokerage houses. Again, we do not ship to any other locations outside the continental US.
- Upon receiving your order, it is your responsibility to do the following:
- Report any missing parts or pieces. If damage occurred, we need to report it with the carrier. DO NOT WAIT. You have 48 hours to report any missing or damaged hardware-NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Take photos of the condition of the hardware in which it was received and damage or any missing pieces. We need this to make sure we send you the missing parts and for our claim.
- RETURN OF STOCK GOODS: You have 20 days to request a Return of Stocked Goods. If you are unsure if the items you are ordering as stock or special order, CONTACT US BEFORE ORDERING.
- IF 30 DAYS HAVE PASSED SINCE YOU HAVE RECIEVED YOUR PURCHASE, UNFORTUNATELY WE CANNOT REFUND OR EXCHANGE YOUR ORDER. All damage or missing parts must be reported within 48 Hours of delivery. Failure to do so will result in lost of your return or credit. ALL RETURNS MUST BE APPROVED. Special ordered items, non-stocked items are non-returnable. If you are concerned about if your hardware is returnable, contact us BEFORE ORDERING. DO NOT ORDER AND EXPECT A RETURN. We do not carry an inventory of all finished colors of hardware due to costs of materials. We have options, such as color chip rings that allow you to see color choices before order a complete hardware set. We also offer FREE DESIGN HELP to avoid costly return mistakes.
- All US-based returns require a pre-approval and are subject up to a 20% restock charge with $9.75 minimum charge-no exceptions. Contact us for more detail before ordering if you do not agree to these terms of business. Each piece of approved hardware returns must be hand inspected for any damage caused in return shipping or handling.
- Please note: Many custom color finished items-colors-aka custom color finishes, special quotes, installed or opened packages are non-returnable since these are non-stocked. If approved by the vendor for return, there is a minimum return fee charged of at least $9.75 charge. Customer is responsible for all handling, shipping and insurance if selected on for the return. Any missing, damaged or lost pieces will not be credited nor shipped back to the person returning the order.
- If you are unsure on the color, size, or style of your hardware contact us BEFORE ORDERING as many pieces are custom colors are finished to order and not a stocked item. We must be notified within 20 days of receipt of your hardware of any return requests. A restocking fee may be charge and deducted from your return amount. This fee covers inspection of hardware & repackaging. All returns must be approved by both GDHD & our vendors (if special order).
HOW TO AVOID ORDERING THE WRONG HARDWARE:
- Send us a photo of your door. We offer free estimates, will provide you with hardware options and make sure you have hardware designed for your personal door.
- Order a color chip from us and see if the custom color actually matches your home in natural light. It is nearly impossible to tell online. This is a cheap way to check a custom color finish for your home, and you now have a sample for other accessories to order from –lightening, appliances, etc.
- Try using painters tape on your door cut to the size of the hardware your thinking of buying. Make sure you do not place it over section joints-where the door panels meet or interfere with the doors weather seal. People refer to this as “Curb Appeal”. Once you find the look, snap a photo and any questions, send it to us for help.
- MEASURE THE AREA YOU PLAN TO INSTALL ANY HARDWARE BEFORE PLACING AN ORDER. ANY QUESTIONS, SEND US PHOTOS OR ASK US FOR HELP, BOTH ARE FREE.
- So please measure and check your order and hardware upon receipt for completion, damage and size/fit. This is your responsibility. PLEASE, do not wait months before notify us with any product issues or telling us the hardware you order received in March, does fit your door in July, we nor will our vendors accept it back. It is your responsibility to check the items you have ordered.
- We cannot accept your products back NOR can we file a claim on your behalf for damages of damages in shipping as all major carriers also have time limits regarding filing damage claims as well as our vendors have the same regarding product returns.
- CLEARANCE ITEMS: Clearance items sold from our site are just that, clearance items without warranty and non-returnable UNLESS damaged in transit. That being said, since our damages have run less than .02% over the last 14 years in business, we MUST BE NOTIFIED WITHIN 48 (TWENTY-FOUR HOURS) of any damages to your order from the shipper. Since the product is sold "as is" there is no return of the product unless it was physically damaged during shipping and noted during delivery or with the time period of 24 hours. In other words, minor marks, scratches, etc. are NOT considered a defect.
- We will request photos of any damage in filing our claims with carriers as well as the return of merchandise-at our expense. We will not be resent out any replacement orders on clearance items. Any defective items will be refunded once approved by the shipper.
Again, we are not Amazon; we are a very small, CUSTOM HARDWARE SHOP offering some of the finest custom finished product in the hardware industry. These cannot be "touched-up" with paint. If product has been damaged, scratched or chipped, it has to be refinished, a very costly & timely expense we try to avoid. Many times, we end up donating the items to the local Habit for Humanity Project as an alternative, but we try not to make this a habit, so please, check your order upon receiving it.
If your Return is Approved:
- Any approved return must be in new condition, uninstalled condition, returned in the same-undamaged packaging, and complete with all fasteners.
Since we powder coat finish our hardware and it cannot be "touched up painted". If an approved return is received back to us damaged, missing pieces or parts, no refund will be processed no exceptions.
- Make sure to list the return authorization number on the outside of your box to get proper credit. Also include a copy of the return authorization. Any return with missing or damage hardware will not be credited or returned.
- All hardware is for decorative use only and does not provide security or a method of opening, closing or securing any door or other application. Nor is it been tested, researched or designed by Garage Door Hardware Direct to meet any municipal, county or state building, hurricane or other safety codes.
- Installation and use are by owner/installers choice and they assume all responsibility for use, care and handling of this product. Contact your door's manufacturer or local garage Door Company for details if you are in need of a working or locking hardware to secure your door.
- Customer assumes all risks in handling, installing or using all products sold by GDHD and its vendors. GDHD is not responsible for damages, injuries or installation costs of any products sold. If you do not have experience in handling or do not own basic hand tools, we do offer a magnetic line of decorative hardware, which requires no tools to install for metal door surfaces only OR can provide you with door industry websites of garage door companies in your area. We make no recommendation to any one particular door company or brand.
- Color Options: We offer five powder coated color finishing options on most metal, iron or aluminum hardware. These products may incur extended lead-times due to the custom finishing process and customer demand since we have no idea when an order will be placed. Also, returns of these products are limited since they are special order and non-stocked items. Please ask for help if your concerned when order.
- Do You "Hold" Orders? We do not "Hold" orders or products not paid for in full. All products are sold and processed on a "first paid-first out" basis. Inventory listed on the website can change by the minute since we have no method to track whom or what customers are going to place orders for since they arrive 24/7 from around the country and overseas. We may have an item in stock now and be out-of-stock an hour later. We apologize for this inconvenience and do our best to keep a large inventory of goods. If you want a product, it is best to place & pay for your order immediately, do not wait. No order is considered complete until it is paid in full for. Orders placed for custom finished goods and canceled once production has begun could be subject to restocking charges.
- The right hardware choice? If you are unsure the hardware you like will work on your door, contact us BEFORE We cannot accept returns on previously installed, missing packaging, or damaged products. All hardware may have a restocking fee. Magnetic hardware is available black finish color industrial strength plastic only.
- Not sure if you have the experience or time to install? If you need installation help or don't have the time, you can visit doors.org the garage door industry website to find a professional dealer in your area. The dealers found there can be hired, at your expense to install your decorative hardware properly. These door companies are experienced in installing decorative hardware and door repairs. Customer assumes all responsibility in doing so. We cannot recommend a particular dealer, services or control pricing they will charge to install hardware. Please check references and/or get multiple bids should you decide to hire someone if you have any concerns.
Product Discounts for Armed Services, Police and Fire:
- We offer a discount a 5% to Police, Military, EMT & Fire personnel. Thank you all for your service to our country! However, you must contact before ordering. Discounts are NOT offered on custom quoted, discounted/clearance or previously paid orders.
What is "powder coating"?
- We powder coat our products to help resist the weather. It's the same process your appliances go through. We also powder coat our stainless steel screw heads. Using the Powder Coating method, the finish does not come off the fasteners when applied. Most Big Box Retailers use painted sheet metal screws on zinc coated screws. This leads to streaking and the finish coming off when you tighten down the screw heads. Our fasteners are made exclusively for our products and not sold at retailers.
- If installing Iron or Rustic Series Hardware and/or door pull handles or strap hinges over 16" in length, you must add exterior grade adhesive (not supplied) to the back of your hardware IF installing on a metal door surface. This does not apply to solid wood doors. The adhesive will help hold the hardware in place and help avoid it from becoming loose during the door operation-moving up and downward or if someone should try to pull on your handles, a ball gets tossed against your door, or in our location, a hockey puck is being shot at your doors. We recommend Loctite brand adhesive sold at your local hardware store. Any installation is the responsibility of the owner, installer or customer. Adhesive used is a small amount and should be designed for your geographical weather conditions-heat, cold. Also, it should be designed for the materials you applying it to ie, Steel to Steel. Due to shipping restrictions and not knowing the final location or door materials, we cannot ship or sell adhesives.
Where to place my hardware?
- Customers will often ask, "Where do I install our hardware?" While there is no industry standard for decorative hardware placement. It's a personal choice. However, doors can look "unbalanced" if placed off-centered. Most manufacturers apply strap hinges to the corners of doors and center the handles or door rings on the center vertical door stile or flat area in the center of doors. The "stile" can be the flat area between the square panel areas if your door has metal panel designs on the outside of it or the center trim board if your door is a carriage house door design.
- The important thing to remember is to make sure the hardware does not interfere with the operation of your door or applied across door panels. We show examples of decorative hardware in our photo gallery or you can contact us for help by sending us a photo of your door. It is best to send us a photo BEFORE ordering. This way you do not order hardware that will not fit on your door. Design help is a free service.
Our tip to help you decide what decorative hardware would look like on your door.
- You will need a roll of blue or bright green painters tape in a thinner width to be used as your "faux hardware" for measuring.
- Take the measurements of the actual hardware you are looking to order or if you already have, install. If you don't know, contact us. The most common length of strap hinges is 16" with a width of 2". Door rings or pull handle sizes can vary from 4-1/2" to 14" in length.
- Cut the tape in the lengths of the products you are looking to purchase or if you have purchased.
- Apply the cut tape lengths to the locations you would like your hardware to be placed. Make sure there is room for both the width & length of your product and keep in mind handles are typically installed in pairs of two. You can install just one handle or ring on your door, but we cannot accept back partial returns so you may have an extra handle or ring if you decide to use only one.
Hinges typically go in one of the four corners of a door or below a glass window section if your door has glass and if there is space for the hinge to lie flat and wide enough without overhanging the door panel above or below it.
Handles or door rings are typically installed in the second section or #2 section up from the ground that is often referred to as the lock section.
- Go back 15-20 yards or towards the sidewalk to see what it looks like. This view is often referred to as the "Curb Appeal" view. If your unhappy with the locations move them. This way you avoid drilling unwanted holes in your door and you can decide what looks best for your home.
Once you find the location that works best for your hardware, you can permanently install the hardware.
Discount for larger orders or 10 or more sets of hardware.
We do offer discounts for larger orders of sets or pallet of hardware. These orders are typically for builders development, professional door installers, and larger purchases. Our products are priced competitively for other orders. If you are looking to order 10 or more sets of any hardware; approx. 80 hinges and 40 handles, please contact before ordering for possible discounts.
Customer is responsible:
The customer, shopper, purchaser or installer/user is responsible for all and any damages, injuries or claims resulting from purchasing or using this product. This product is for decorative use only and should never be used to secure, open or close any door, structure, garage door, service, shed, barn, doors or any other application requiring as such. Please check with your door manufacturers warranty before drilling any surface.
Customers should never make any adjustments to interior door hardware, including springs, inside hinges, cables or brackets on the inside of your door as doing so could cause serious injuries. Decorative hardware sold here is never to be used for or working hardware, or as a replacement to working hardware. If you are uncomfortable using a hand held screwdriver or drill, please contact a professional door installer. A dealer in your area can be located on www.doors.org or via the internet under your garage door manufacturers website.