Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Shipping: All hardware is shipped via, "Free Shipping" to all states within the continental United States. We do not ship any International orders including Canada unless the Canadian purchaser has a US-based brokerage house which assumes all the handling and customs paperwork. All orders shipped this method will have special quoted pricing and terms, with pricing not found online. If your interested in ordering this way, please contact us BEFORE attempting to place an order. Any order placed without contacting us will be canceled and refunded. This applies to Canada orders with US-based brokerage houses only. Again, we do not ship to any other locations outside the continental US.
All US-based returns require a pre-approval and subject up to a 20% restock charge with $6.75 minimum charge. See Terms & Conditions for more detail. Some custom finished items are non-returnable. Any approved return must be in new condition, in the same packaging and complete with all fasteners. Since we powder coat finish our hardware and it cannot be "touched up painted", we cannot accept back damaged or scratched hardware. If an approved return is received back to us damaged, no refund will be processed.
2. Hardware Use: All hardware is for decorative use only and does not provide security or a method of opening, closing or securing any door or other application. Nor is it designed to meet any municipal, county or state building, hurricane or other safety codes. Installation and use are by owner/installers choice. Contact your door's manufacturer or local garage door company for details if you are in need of a working or locking hardware to secure your door. Customer assumes all risks in handling, installing or using all products sold by GDHD and it's vendors. GDHD is not responsible for damages, injuries or installation costs of any products sold. If you do not have experience in handling or do not own basic hand tools, we do offer a magnetic line of decorative hardware which requires no tools to install for metal door surfaces only.
3. Color Options: We offer five powder coated color finishing options on most metal, iron or aluminum hardware. These products may incur extended lead-times due to the custom finishing process and customer demand since we have no idea when an order will be placed.
4. Do You "Hold" Orders?:
We do not "Hold" orders or products not paid for in full. All products are sold and processed on a "first paid-first out" basis. Inventory listed on the website can change by the minute since we have no method to track who or what customers are going to place orders for. We may have an item in-stock now and be out-of-stock an hour later. We apologize for this inconvenience and do our best to keep a large inventory of goods. If you want a product it's best to place & pay for your order immediately, do not wait.
No order is considered complete until it is paid in full for. Orders placed for custom finished goods and canceled once production has begun could be subject to restocking charges.
4. The right hardware choice? If you are unsure the hardware you like will work on your door, contact us BEFORE ordering. We cannot accept returns on previously installed, missing packaging, or damaged products. All hardware may have a restocking fee.
We offer a color sample ring for sale which shows actual metal color sample finishes for all our color options for steel, iron, or aluminum products. The cost of the ring is refunded if you place an order for a custom color finished hardware set.
Magnetic hardware is available black finish color industrial strength plastic only.
5. Not sure if you have the experience or time to install? If you need installation help or don't have the time, you can visit www.doors.org the garage door industry website to find a professional dealer in your area. The dealers found there can be hired, at your expense to install your decorative hardware properly. These door companies are experienced in installing decorative hardware and door repairs. Customer assumes all responsibility in doing so. We cannot recommend a particular dealer, services or control pricing they will charge to install hardware. Please check references and/or get multiple bids should you decide to hire someone if you have any concerns.
6. Product Discounts for Armed Services, Police and Fire: We offer a discount to Police, Military, EMT & Fire personnel. Thank you all for your service to our country! However, you must contact before ordering. We cannot credit custom quoted, discounted/clearance or previously paid orders.
7. What is "powder coating"? We powder coat our products to help resist weather. It's the same process your appliances go through. We also powder coat our stainless steel screw heads. Using the Powder Coating method, the finish does not come off the fasteners when applied. Most Big Box Retailers use painted sheet metal screws on zinc coated screws. This leads to streaking and the finish coming off when you tighten down the screw heads. Our fasteners are made exclusively for our products and not sold at retailers.
8. Adhesives: If installing Iron or Rustic Series Hardware and/or door pull handles or strap hinges over 16" in length, you must add exterior grade adhesive (not supplied) to the back of your hardware IF installing on a metal door surface. This does not apply to solid wood doors. The adhesive will help hold the hardware in place and help avoid it from becoming loose during the door operation-moving up and downward or if someone should try to pull on your handles, a ball gets tossed against your door, or in our location, a hockey puck is being shot at your doors. We recommend Loctite brand adhesive sold at your local hardware store. Any installation is the responsibility of the owner, installer or customer. Adhesive used is a small amount and should be designed for your geographical weather conditions-heat, cold. Also, it should be designed for the materials you applying it to ie, Steel to Steel. Due to shipping restrictions and not knowing the final location or door materials, we cannot ship or sell adhesives.
Where to place my hardware?
People often ask where to install our hardware? There is no industry standard for decorative hardware placement. It's a personal choice. However, doors can look "unbalanced" if placed off-centered. Most manufacturers apply strap hinges to the corners of doors and center the handles or door rings on the center vertical door stile or flat area in the center of doors. The "stile" can be the flat area between the square panel areas if your door has metal panel designs on the outside of it or the center trim board if your door is a carriage house door design.
The important thing to remember is to make sure the hardware does not interfere with the operation of your door or applied across door panels. We show examples of decorative hardware in our photo gallery or you can contact us for help by sending us a photo of your door. It is best to send us a photo BEFORE ordering. This way you do not order hardware that will not fit on your door. Design help is a free service.
Our tip to help you decide what decorative hardware would look like on your door.
1. You will need a roll of blue or bright green painters tape in a thinner width to be used as your "faux hardware" for measuring.
2. Take the measurements of the actual hardware you are looking to order or if you already have, install. If you don't know, contact us. The most common length of strap hinges is 16" with a width of 2". Door rings or pull handle sizes can vary from 4-1/2" to 14" in length.
3. Cut the tape in the lengths of the products you are looking to purchase or if you have purchased.
4. Apply the cut tape lengths to the locations you would like your hardware to be placed. Make sure there is room for both the width & length of your product and keep in mind handles are typically installed in pairs of two. You can install just one handle or ring on your door, but we cannot accept back partial returns so you may have an extra handle or ring if you decide to use only one.
Hinges typically go in one of the four corners of a door or below a glass window section if your door has glass and if there is space for the hinge to lie flat and wide enough without overhanging the door panel above or below it.
Handles or door rings are typically installed in the second section or #2 section up from the ground that is often referred to as the lock section.
5. Go back 15-20 yards or towards the sidewalk to see what it looks like. This view is often referred to as the "Curb Appeal" view. If your unhappy with the locations move them. This way you avoid drilling unwanted holes in your door and you can decide what looks best for your home.
Once you find the location that works best for your hardware, you can permanently install the hardware.
If you are unsure if the tape is the best location, you can always send us a photo along with what set of hardware you are looking to purchase to us for free design help.
Discount for larger orders or 10 or more sets of hardware.
We do offer discounts for larger orders of sets or pallet of hardware. These orders are typically for builders development, professional door installers, and larger purchases. Our products are priced competitively for other orders. If you are looking to order 10 or more sets of any hardware; approx. 80 hinges and 40 handles, please contact before ordering for possible discounts.