Install Tips & Where to Install Hardware Page:
Print these tips if you did not get install tips in your shipping box.
If your order shipped directly from one of our vendors, you will not have install tips supplied with your order.
(Hardware is decorative use only and should not be used as structural support or as working handles, handle sets or hinges).
If you are uncomfortable or inexperienced, installing hardware or using tools to install decorative hardware sold from our store do not attempt to install it. Call a Professional Door Company. For a local Professional Overhead Garage Door Company contact yellow pages or check out www.doors.org, the garage door manufacturer’s association website for a professional door dealer and service person. Our customer or installer and end-user assumes all risks in handling, installing and using any and all products sold from our online stores. Our hardware is for decorative use only. Do not use any of our hardware for any application requiring actual use, working part, operating hinge, pull, or lift handles. Never make adjustments and/or replace any garage door springs, cables, hinges or rollers; including top and bottom brackets, lift or door cables. Removing, adjusting or replacing any of the mentioned parts could cause serious injury or death. For a garage door dealer near the purchaser, please visit www.doors.org or your local yellow pages. Buyer assumes all liability for product use and installations.
Installing Your Decorative Hardware
Thank you for your purchase!
1. Verify that your decorative hardware products will fit properly on your door. All hardware sold by Garage Door Hardware Direct is for decorative use only and should not be used as a method to open, secure or access any door. Please make sure your hardware is not located over any door section joints (where the door panels come together) or interferers with the doors operation or weather-strip on the side and top of the door. Move the hardware to a new location if it does cause any of the previously listed to occur. Examples of hardware locations can be found on our website www.carriagehousehardwaredirect.com.
2. Your garage door should be completely closed while installing this product to ensure proper alignment. You can use masking tape to hold your hardware in place once you have found a workable location and the hardware are leveled.
To install your Decorative Hinges:
3. Position the hinges in the center of the horizontal surface above or below of the garage door raised panel if you have. Use your level to ensure that the mounting holes line up properly. Also be sure that the edge of the hinge does not interfere with the weather stripping at both the top and sides of the garage door opening. Use a felt tip marker to mark the hole locations once the hinges are level.
4. Drill 1/16-inch pilot holes into the door panel using the mounting holes marked from the hinge as a guide. (If two types of screws are provided, always go with the smaller bit than the fasteners supplied or your screws will not hold). Just break the surface of the metal or wood. Do not drill into the foam as this will help the screws hold better once you attach them.
5. Fasten the hinges with the stainless-steel screws provided with your hardware kit USING A HAND HELD SCREW DRIVER. Using an electric or battery powered drill / screw gun will over tighten your screws causing them to fail and loosen. Repeat this process for your other three or more hinges. Adding a small amount of adhesive to the back side of the hinges is not necessary but will help your hinges hold should it get hit with kids playing in the driveway. Make sure the adhesive you purchase is for metal to metal exterior grade waterproof use only. Avoid getting adhesive on your door or other painted surface.
To install you Decorative Handles:
6. First, measure the center vertical panel of your garage door to see if two handles will fit side-by-side. If so, you can position the pair carefully within that section. If not, center a single handle can be used. Handles are typically installed on the #2 section-second panel up from the ground or the #3 panel-the third panel up from the ground. Use tape to hold, level and mark the hole locations for drilling.
7. Drill 1/16-inch pilot holes into the door panel-metal or wood only, not the foam using the mounting holes marked from the hinge as a guide. (If two types of screws are provided, always go with the smaller bit than the fasteners supplied or your screws will not hold). Some handles & door rings screws are larger in width than the hinge screws. Always use the larger screw for handles & rings if supplied.
8. Fasten the handles with the stainless-steel screws provided with your hardware kit. Repeat this process for the second handle if supplied and if you’re using. Adding a small amount of adhesive to the back side of the handle is not necessary but will help your handle hold should it get hit with kids playing in the driveway. Make sure the adhesive you purchase is for metal to metal exterior grade waterproof use only. Avoid getting adhesive on your door or other painted surface.
Tools required for installation:
- Electric drill with 1/16” drill bit or larger depending on the screw sizes provided.
- Phillips Screwdriver for hand tightening screws. Using a drill screw gun will over tighten your screws causing them to fail and loosen.
- Tape Measure and Level along with sharpie type of permanent marker for locating hinge and handle holes.
- Blue painters masking tape or “non-marring” strapping tape to help you identify hardware locations and to hold hardware for marking.
- Some hardware may be too heavy for taping and will have to be held in place manually to avoid injury or damage.
- Step stool or ladder if needed to install.
- Exterior Grade Metal to Metal or Metal to Wood Adhesive. Will provide added holding strength should your hardware get it with pucks, balls, bikes, toys. THIS IS NOT REQUIRED.
- By adding adhesive, your hardware is still for decorative use only and is not to be used as a working handle, knocker, pull or hinges. Damages and or injury can occur. If you need working hardware, contact us.